So what does it actually cost to operate an early stage startup? In reality not
that much. Being a solo, bootstrapped founder, the costs are minimal.
- Domain name: $8.88 bought at Namecheap. Amortized to $0.74/month
- Servers: 1 x 2GB droplet for the API, and 2x 1GB droplets for various other
services. All hosted at DigitalOcean. Total cost $20/month
- Sending mail: Mailgun free tier: $0/month
- Hosted email: Google apps. $4.29/month
- A dedicated desk at my co-working space: $285/month
- Software licenses: $0/month Our entire software stack is opensource
The grand total is: $310.03/month
To start an online software company, you don't actually need a lot of money.
Infact the biggest cost is the co-working space, and for office space in
London, what I'm paying is cost-effective.
Some of these costs were in GBP, but were converted to USD at an exchange rate of 1.30
is lightweight tool for collecting, and managing feature requests from your customers to build products that your users actually want. Designed for product managers 💖